Thursday, 24 September 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

It has been years since I actually sat down and began reading a book or a novel. Each time I try to read a book, my mind drifts away and I cannot concentrate on a story line. So instead of reading a book, I constantly figet around with my hand phone, writing sms or listening to mp3s.
But recently, it was one of those perfect day where the sun is out bright, the sky is crisp blue. I took a trip to the local library again and was grazing through all the books, and wished how I could just dive and indulge myself into all these books. It is actually pure luxury to have time to take up a book and read. To quieten oneself and just take a book and browse through and it is even more relaxing if one does not have any one waiting for a hot meal at home, or clothes to wash. I could just enjoy as much time I like to sit down and slurp a hot coffee and dive myself into the world of stories and plots. Lets say it is a luxury of a single life.

My favourite corner in the library is the coffee couch, where you can take a few books and just read excepts of each book before taking it home. This time I wanted to experience the thrill of reading an exciting book once again.I have heard about slumdog millionaire and thought the name was a bit vulgar, but the pink and vibrant covers with beautiful bollywood actress caught my attention. So I thought of giving it a chance, well I can always return if the book is flaky. So i took my book home and started to read, soon I find myself reading into late nights, turning page after page as I emerse myself to India. The author Vikas Swarup has a way with words to describe a place or a situation. His sentences transcends me on flights and it felt that I was somewhere in an beautiful colonial coffee house in Bombay slurping my black coffee listening to his story. I could nearly smell of New Dehli. Or hear the children playing. Such vivid descriptions that makes my heart miss a beat, I just could not put down the book. I felt a part of me was with this boy in his journey to reveal the truth about his correctly answered question during "Who will win a billion" show. Each time I put down the book, I started to think of the life in India and how painstakenly this boy has to go through his life as an orphan.

Later I found out that this movie has won 10 accademy award this year. So if you want to read a book again after a long pause, I would recommend this book as it is easy to understand, exciting and it covers many areas of life e.g death, life, poverty, love, friendship and family. Tumbs up !!
So I shall definetly make it a habit to do more reading and just find out what are my favourite authors has been publishing all these years.

0 comments: