Tuesday, 15 July 2008

A tough job

Today I had to take on a few job interviews for a position which I would like to fill in. Something which really bothered me after the 2nd interview was that how shabby and disorganize the candidates can arrive at the day of the interview. I took time to read through their resumee and prepare questions and be ready for that occasion, meaning that costs me time and mental preparation.
But to my horror I find many ignorant or simply shabby candidates came up to my restaurant and took things much too casual to my distaste. So I decided to blog this down and jot down some tips on how to make a good impression at the job interview. I mean I am now at the other side of the table and it is a learning for process for me too, to ask the right questions.

1)Dress for the position. - don't dress up like a rag esp in jeans and old tshirt
2)Be neat. Check for missing buttons, dragging hems, split seams, etc. - brush your teeth !!!! pleeeze.......
Avoid jangling jewelry or "new wave" fashion.don't show off your whole wardrobe - especially when it distracts. No nose or tongue accessories. it is ok if you are looking for a job as junk punk singer other than that... stay low key.
3)Appear fresh and rested, interested and alert. - stop asking the same question when it has been answered twice... wake up !!!
4)Arrive promptly for your appointment. - It is an insult to keep the party which could be your future employer waiting. The job market is vast and there are so many candidates out there applying each day. So do honor the company by coming in early.

Your Conduct During the Interview

1)Be positive about your qualifications. - don't over or underestimate your qualifications. don't brag if you cannot deliver or don't have the qualification.

2)Avoid judgmental remarks about previous jobs or bosses. - very important !! as the world is small and you may never know who knows who. And that show how much intergrity you have towards your previous job and your employer. If you can making remarks about your previous bosses, you can easily make remarks about your present and your future bosses too.

3)Learn the names of your interviewers and their positions in the organization. - not too difficult if you are given a name card and there are perhaps only 2 person interviewing you.

4)Indicate areas of the job to which you can apply previous experience and training. - huh !!??? experience is taboo. You should know where you are trained at.

Well... it is an interesting irritating day and I think I shall just hit the sack and get ready for a long day of interview tomorrow...(sigh)

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, I like the new look. So glamorous! Eh! Malaysians do tend to prepare for an interview. Is it possible your candidates were not taught to make a good impression at school? Never mind pray tomorrow you will find your " diamond" for the vacancy.

I like the pictures of Franfurt. Looks like this is the first of many places you will be going to in your journey. Godspeed.